It’s been an incredibly hectic week for me and I’m learning more and more about what the “real world” is really like. While I’m not paying rent, buying groceries, or even chipping in for utilities, the 40 hour work week gives whole new meaning to time management. A couple of unexpected stress-inducing things last weekend and this week made me even more excited to take a 9-month hiatus from “the grind” at the end of September when I’ll move to Madrid as a Language and Cultural Assistant. In the meantime, however, I’m still working 40 hours a week at Lenmar Enterprises, Inc. in Camarillo, while also interning very part-time with the UK-based gap year/travel website and blog, I Wish Gap Year. This weekend is going to be a legit attempt at “r & r” even though I hate sitting still and doing nothing.
Here are some random things I’m interested in/currently doing:
- Reading “The Facebook Effect” by David Kirkpatrick. I am easily addicted to Facebook – referring to it sometimes by nickname “the book” and experiencing that inevitable burst in endorphins at the site of that red notification. This book is awesome – it delves into the history of the company’s founding and gives a lot of insight into the social media world’s formulation. Every time I make a valiant attempt to read fiction, I get sucked back into the “real” side of the literary world with a book like this.
- Contemplating purchasing an e-reader. I noticed Borders has some for under $150 and I just know that an 8 oz. reader storing up to 1,000 titles makes more sense than lugging 4-5 books with me overseas.
- Marketing/Social media. With both of my jobs, I’m learning more about the social marketing/media worlds. Today at Lenmar, I spent some time looking at what other companies are doing in the CSR realm, and brainstormed how we can market our endeavors. While I am undeniably driven to the law realm, I’ve had fun pursuing these side projects this summer.
- Personal Growth blogs. Through some chats with my friend Amy, she’s convinced me to add Tim Ferriss’ “The 4-Hour Work Week” to my list of the next books to read, and I’ve stumbled upon (not literally) a helpful blog called Graduated and Clueless. These last few months have shown and taught me a lot and one of those things is to make the most out of your time and really LIVE your life. Yeah, money’s important, but it’s how you spend the time you’re “wasting” to earn it that matters most.
- “Figuring out where I’m going to law school.” The list of schools is continually expanding, but it’s been fun to daydream about which city I’ll end up living in for 3 years. While the Law School Predictor isn’t helping, it’s encouraging that it tells me I’ll get into a few places, haha.
- Maximizing Lunch breaks. I am lucky to get a full hour M-Th for lunch (hellooooo 24 hour fitness) and 30 min. on Friday during which I hit up the local Starbucks :).
- Sports. Ron Artest’s jubilant press conference last night was incredibly endearing, and the World Cup is equally exciting – USA’s game today (thank god for Twitter updates) and Spain’s loss to Switzerland have definitely intrigued me and kept me tuned-in to #worldcup #usa and #esp twitter feeds.
That’s it for this uber-nerdy post. If you made it all the way here, thanks and show me some love with a comment!