three cups of bossypants.

8 Jun

My two 2+ hour flights last weekend as well as tons of time on the metro each day afforded me a lot of time to power through some books I’d been lining up. Both were quick reads and delightful.

First up was Tina Fey’s Bossypants.

While I’m only now really getting into 30 Rock, I’ve been a Tina Fey fan since the Mean Girls days. She’s witty and smart and seriously funny. Her book was hilarious – I found myself holding back laughter in public places several times and particularly enjoyed her account of the weeks on SNL where she played Sarah Palin. I was also interested to learn about the scar on the left side of her face that I had never noticed until I read about it. Here are a few  of my favorite quotes from Bossypants…I’ll be reading these over and over with my fingers crossed that she can eek out a sequel.

• I hate to stir up trouble among the princesses, but take away the hair and Sleeping Beauty is actually a little beat.
  • (By the way, when Oprah Winfrey is suggesting you may have overextended yourself, you need to examine your fucking life).

• And I have no affinity for animals. I don’t hate animals and I would never hurt an animal; I just don’t actively care about them. When a coworker shows me cute pictures of her dog, I struggle to respond correctly, like an autistic person who has been taught to recognize human emotions from flash cards. In short, I am the worst. (Yes, I realize this 100% true for my life).
Next up was the Kindle single Three Cups of Deceit by one of my favorite authors, Jon Krakauer:
Three Cups of Deceit highlights the fraud and blatant lies committed by Greg Mortenson, the humanitarian behind the “Three Cups of Tea” phenomenon. Krakauer paints a compelling story exposing the wrongs committed by this guy in an intriguing and readable way – and it makes me glad I’ve never read or fallen for any of Mortenson’s lies. I’m all for building schools in rural Afghanistan, but Mortenson’s inability to even fact-check himself and to basically steal money from his organization is deplorable. (My favorite error committed by Mortenson? He got the year Mother Teresa died wrong by three years in one of his books!)
Now I’m reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and already hooked. What’s everyone out there reading??

7 Responses to “three cups of bossypants.”

1. Steve Clow June 8, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

The recent royal wedding prompted me to dredge up the 1997 Kitty Kelley expose, “The Royals.” I never paid much attention to the royal family, so I never really knew about all of the scandals, backbiting, Nazi in-laws, etc. Fun stuff!

• gillian June 8, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

Wow, Nazi in-laws? Weird. Funny – I can picture that book on our bookshelf where it remained untouched for over a decade. Hah!

2. Kathy Satterfield June 8, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Genius on the Edge: The Bizarre Double Life of Dr. William Stewart Halsted, by Gerald Imber, M.D. It is a history of early surgical developments, from 1846 to 1922. You don’t have to be a physician to enjoy this one. You will just appreciate the fact that Halsted and the cadre of famous physicians surrounding him, eventually at Johns Hopkins, sacrificed themselves to invent modern medicine. And they did literally sacrificed themselves.

One, who developed a radiology service where none had existed before, lost his fingers and an eye because no one knew the effects of the x-rays.

Several others, including Halsted, became lifelong cocaine and morphine addicts because they experimented with the drugs to find a possible agent to use to sedate patients for surgery. Remember that in the 1800’s, surgery was done by holding patients down forcfully and performing the surgery as quickly as possible. It was also done in bare, unwashed hands while wearing street clothes perhaps bloody from performing surgery on the previous patients.

We have Halsted to thank for washed hands, gloves, sterilized instruments and a plummeting infection rate and a rising survival rate. He also invented residency training programs (for men only, of course!) I would have been out of luck.But I have to appreciate all of the strides that were made in a very short period of time. Thanks, Drs. Halsted, Kelly, Cushing and Osler!

• gillian June 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

Wow, that sounds like a really great read! Thanks for sharing!

3. Mandy June 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

Gillian, have you read “Once a Runner”? You might not want another running book after your current one, but put it on your list if you haven’t. Great read!

• gillian June 10, 2011 at 1:26 am #