airing my grievances.

23 Jun

Dear Spain,

I love you an insane amount, but before my eventual return, could you get the following things figured out?

• air conditioning. it’s a ripe 91 degrees. Air conditioning is a first-world luxury that Spain doesn’t really seem to be that down with. I live off of what I once learned on a Snapple cap: “The more in shape you are, the faster you break a sweat.” Either I’m going to qualify for the Olympics in the next few years or I may have a medical problem.
  • restaurant napkins. No restarurant, tapas bar, or cervecería knows what a real napkin is. Instead, we’re presented with tiny little squares with the texture of tissue paper.
  • ice cubes. Here, they’re more like “ice cylinders” and you’re lucky to get more than one with any sort of cold drink. So stoked for free refills and an endless storm of crushed ice.
  • efficiency. Still not happy about the fact I lived sin wifi for weeks (it felt like months) when I moved here. Banks closing at 2:30 still makes no sense to me – the people who work 9-5 are the people who may actually need to use a bank!

I’m sure there’s more to add that to the list, but honestly Spain, if you could just start to tackle that I’d be more than happy to try and make it back here sooner rather than later.

Besos,
Gillian

P.S. And would it hurt for you to stock peanut butter for less than 4 euros?

Cal pride in Madrid's Puerta del Sol 🙂

Also: as my year in Spain comes to an end, are there any post requests? I’m open to any and all suggestsions!

8 Responses to “airing my grievances.”

1. Kaley [Y Mucho Más] June 23, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

Spanish ice cubes are the worst! I agree about the PB thing. It should be just roasted peanuts and salt – not expensive.

• gillian June 23, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Haha, right?? I am sure there are more things I am forgetting but I probably won’t realize it until I get home!

2. Caroline June 23, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Can’t wait to read about all of your Spain adventures! I can already tell you had an amazing time. I’m very jealous!! 🙂

• gillian June 23, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

Thanks! It’s been a lot of fun! One goal for when I get home: crack open a Spanish cooking cookbook!

3. Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport June 24, 2011 at 2:03 am #

Holy Hell! I agree with every.single.one. of these! Please god, I need air conditioner!

When is your time up in Spain? I would love to meet up some time?

• gillian June 24, 2011 at 3:24 am #

I know, the last few days have been unbearable! I go back to the states on Tuesday – this year went by so fast! Itd be fun to grab a coffee or something but if it doesnt work out time-wise before then, thats okay!

4. Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport June 25, 2011 at 2:28 am #

Hi Gillian!

So sad you are leaving so soon! I am going to be around Alonzo Martinez Metro today around 4 ish. I know this is last minute but if it works out to meet up then great, if not I wish you wonderful travels back home!

You can email me directly at anywhereairport [at] gmail if today works out.

1. my travel ABCs « That's G - September 17, 2011

[…] Incredible service you’ve experienced and where: Hmm, nowhere in Spain, that’s for sure – but that’s part of Spain’s charm I guess. The best service I’ve […]