cruzing.

23 Jul

Right now, my family is in northern California – specifically Santa Cruz – for my little brother Reid’s college orientation at UC Santa Cruz. We’ve been up here for just over a full day so far – and will be exploring the area until Sunday. Here’s some snapshots of what we’ve been up to:

drinks in the hotel bar with Kerren, one of my roommates from Madrid:

starting off the trip with an IPA. standard.

appreciating all of the weirdness Santa Cruz has to offer:

keep santa cruz weird.

finding a falafel sandwich to keep my Mediterranean food obsession going:

delicious.

exploring the UC Santa Cruz campus with my family:

seeing the forest for the trees.

porter college dorms.

reid at his college.

dinner in neighboring city Los Gatos, which is adorable:

dinner at Andalé in Los Gatos.

shrimp quesadilla, ensalada mixta, and a corona.

brother.

…and dessert next door at Happy Yogurt.

happy yogurt - the peanut butter sauce is life changing.

so typical.

love los gatos.

The rest of the trip will include visting with my Aunt and Uncle who are down here from Oakland, getting a couple of runs in, and exploring the Santa Cruz boardwalk.

Have you been to Santa Cruz before? Any recommendations?

7 Responses to “cruzing.”

1. Angela Gonzalez July 24, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

wtf, i was just in los gatos this morning with my parents at the farmer’s market! where i’m living is a whole 5 miles away from dowtown

• gillian July 24, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

Ah!!! I wish I had known that! My geography up there is so messed up.

Sent from my iPhone

2. Erin July 24, 2011 at 5:00 pm #

Hey lady found you via FTLOB. Never been to Santa Cruz- But I hope y’all have a wonderful time!! Food looks AWESOME

• gillian July 24, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

Thanks! It was great – happy to be home now though 🙂

3. Kyria July 24, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

I miss California! Santa Cruz is wonderful, isn’t it? I usually just walk around, stare at the ocean and hang out at the beach. However, I had breakfast at the Walnut Ave Cafe…it was good!

That frozen yogurt looks so good!

• gillian July 24, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

Santa Cruz is so quirky and cool! I’d been there once before for a half-marathon, but didn’t get to check out the campus or the downtown area at all. Walnut Ave Cafe will definitely be on my list for next time!

1. summer’s over… « That's G - September 3, 2011

[…] Norton Simon in Pasadena as well as the Watts Towers and Venice with my dad. We also all headed to Santa Cruz for a weekend for my brother’s college orientation, and then I went to one of my favorite cities, Las […]