gaudí in los angeles?

25 Jul

Last week, my Dad and I did something we’ve wanted to do for a long time – we drove deep into Los Angeles to see the Watts Towers. They’re pretty awesome.

The towers consist of 17 inter-connected structures made by one man: Italian immigrant Simon Rodia, over 33 years (1921-1954). The towers are made with steel pipes and rods, and decorated with bits of tiles, porcelain, and found glass. Some of the glass is from recognizable soda bottles from the era – I spotted many green Canada Dry bottles.

The structures have drawn comparison to Antoní Gaudí’s work in Barcelona – and yes, this is one of (if not the main) reason for me wanting to see the Watts Towers. While the styles are different, there are definite similarities.

Gaudí's La Sagrada Familia

mosaics at Gaudí's Park Guell

Park Guell.

Do you notice the similarities? Or I am so Barcelona-obsessed that I’m making this up?

The Watts Towers were pretty cool – although not as tall as I thought they would be initially.

new obsession: instagram on the iPhone.

My Dad and I were happy to check this off our LA bucket list – it’s cool something like this exists and has been preserved. It was a trek out to Watts, but worth it 🙂

What’s your favorite example of street or outdoor art?

10 Responses to “gaudí in los angeles?”

1. Journey Photographic July 25, 2011 at 6:29 am #

Having just been to Barcelona, I can confirm it’s not just you – this is definitely Gaudi-esque! (Or maybe I’ve just caught the Barcelona bug too :))

• gillian July 25, 2011 at 8:11 am #

Phew, thanks! Barcelona and Gaudí are definitely obsession-worthy!

2. Steve July 25, 2011 at 8:37 am #

Simon Rodia sometimes made it out our way:

• gillian July 25, 2011 at 8:41 am #

So cool. Wish there were photos – we have to find out what happened to that structure or if it’s still there.

3. Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport July 25, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

So cool! Another LA wannabe! 🙂

4. Suzy July 28, 2011 at 9:17 am #

You might be Barcelona obsessed, but I definitely see the similarities between the two. I guess the only difference, the Watts Towers didn’t take hundreds of years to construct!

5. gillian July 28, 2011 at 9:39 am #

Haha yes! That’s a crucial difference…and I am *totally* Barcelona obsessed.

1. summer’s over… « That's G - September 3, 2011

[…] with my mom – and, not to be outdone, a trip to the Norton Simon in Pasadena as well as the Watts Towers and Venice with my dad. We also all headed to Santa Cruz for a weekend for my brother’s […]

2. two thousand eleven: the playlist. « That's G - December 31, 2011

[…] in Venice and at the Banksy exhibit in LA, went to Santa Cruz with the family, and visited the famous Watts Towers,  and most importantly, went to Vegas! What a fun summer month Venice, […]