margarita monday.

16 Aug

Today was my first day of law school orientation – it was short and to-the-point and enjoyable. We went over our first case, (Conti v. ASPCA: basically a question of whose property is an escaped, domesticated parrot named Chester? Answer: the original owner – ASPCA ftw!). It was fun to finally get the ball rolling on this three year adventure. But this is besides the point of this post, and I’m sure I’ll have plenty of law talk on this thing in the future. Last night – technically my last real night of freedom, haha, I went with 3 of my friends to El Carmen on 3rd.

menu.

Ryan had just taken a portion of the CPA exam so a celebration was in order. After an ill-fated attempt to go to a popular Japanese place for happy hour, we ended up at El Carmen. Although we missed happy hour technically, it was still a solid choice.

probably talking about accounting.

yesssss.

delicious pomegranate margarita.

my mom likes them because they put me in my place. not sure where that place is exactly, but whatever.

By this point I was getting really annoying with the flash on my iPhone in this super-dark restaurant, but I had to take a couple more pictures.

the interior.

The coolest thing about this place I learned today – my Dad told me that his mom used to go to El Carmen ALL the time in the 1940s and that he and his brother had gone there as kids (obviously years later and not in the 1940s). I never got to meet my grandmother, but I think that makes this place that much cooler. I wonder what her drink of choice was…

cool postcard they gave us with the bill.

We’ll be back.

What’s everyone’s favorite margarita?

12 Responses to “margarita monday.”

1. Kaley [Y Mucho Más] August 16, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

Pomegranate margarita sounds really good! I just like a plain margarita, although I prefer a good mojito. Is it bad to say I’m a “plain” type of girl? I like vanilla ice cream, unflavored oatmeal (no weird toppings), plain ole regular PB, etc.

• gillian August 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

I love a good plain margarita…or a mojito! I think sometimes plain is the way to go – you know what you’re getting with the classics and its less likely you’ll be disappointed!

2. tina August 16, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

that pomegranate margarita look sooo good… me want!

• gillian August 16, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

It WAS good – possibly a new obsession.

Sent from my iPhone

3. Casey Clow August 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

Your grandmother probably went to El Coyote (http://www.elcoyotecafe.com/) as well. A few other classics in your area survive. Musso & Frank Grill comes to mind. I think The Spanish Kitchen has been resurrected; the new owners using its history as a hook. Oddly, it is a Mexican food place, I think.
    Re law school, when you start your Civ. Pro. class, please let me know if they still make law students read Pennoyer v. Neff. That I remember it 32 years later is a testament to … something, not sure what.
    Casey

• gillian August 16, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

Good to know – those places are all right around me – trying to get to as many of them as possible! 🙂

I will DEFINITELY let you know about Pennoyer v. Neff – I am pretty sure I remember my friend Matt reading that last year. Excited to start!

4. Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport August 17, 2011 at 1:09 am #

It is countdown to mexican on this side of the pond. ONE week! Margarita – Classic – on the rocks. No salt. Mmmm…

• gillian August 17, 2011 at 8:45 am #

One week! That’s so exciting! Have a blast at home 🙂

5. Caroline August 17, 2011 at 11:37 am #

I LOVE El Carmen!! It’s so delicious. I get the pomegranate margarita there too. That’s crazy your grandma went there in the 40s…too cool!!

• gillian August 17, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

That’s awesome – glad it gets the Caroline approval! 🙂

Sent from my iPhone

1. summer’s over… « That's G - September 3, 2011

[…] from high school live out there too! We’ve checked out restaurants like Toast, Urth Caffe, El Carmen, Taste, Father’s Office, Jack and Jill’s, and Real Food Daily…and I have made […]

2. vignettes. « That's G - July 25, 2012

[…] to celebrate with margaritas. I decided on El Carmen on West 3rd street because I knew from past trips that their margs were delectable. The server suggested their Guava Margarita so I took her up on […]