sunday dinner.

22 Aug

Due to the fact that I am just *that* obsessed with Jersey Shore, I have conned a few of my friends into starting a weekly, Sunday night tradition of taking turns hosting dinner at our respective apartments. Last week, we headed to my friend Whitney’s apartment and made shrimp tacos and guac. This week, it was my turn to host so we put together homemade pad thai and fruit salad (using my mom’s secret sauce of course).

Ryan working on the chicken. Hah.

garnishes galore. one thing I didn't mess up!

Ryan and Whitney.

way more delicious than it looks, i promise.

I nabbed the recipe for the Pad Thai off of allrecipes.com with some substitutions and variations. We couldn’t find rice noodles so we used linguine (worked out fine!) and we doubled the ingredients for the sauce to make sure we had enough. The combination of sugar, red pepper flakes, fish oil, and white wine vinegar came together pretty well – our version tasted like legitimate pad thai! Also, I didn’t have a wok at my apartment but luckily Matty and Ryan do. Once we got a hold of theirs, everything came together. My friends’ attempts at teaching me to become domestic may be working. Looks like I’m the one getting conned…

Here’s the recipe:

The trick for the fruit salad? A sauce consisting of lime juice, honey, almond slivers (and poppyseeds, which Trader Joe’s apparently does not carry.)

We were stoked with the way the Pad Thai came out and would all make it again – but probably starting with a wok next time instead of fumbling with pans that are way too small.

I hope everyone had a relaxing and fun weekend! I got a long run in yesterday and also spent some time with my parents and uncle. I’m off now to get in a weights + yoga workout before my first day of class.

How do you feel about cooking Asian cuisine? Fav dish?

10 Responses to “sunday dinner.”

1. actorsdiet August 22, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

i’m chinese and i rarely cook asian food b/c i grew up eating it and only crave the authentic stuff – driving to the SGV or monterey park is worth it to me!

• gillian August 22, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

Oh I can see that – Chinese food is delicious and I am sure nothing compares to the real thing! Thanks for the comment 🙂

2. tina August 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

normally i’ve found rice noodles in trader joe’s and it’s pretty cheap! i guess it’s just hit or miss: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_j6R3u7ILv3E/SyHWWv8DmmI/AAAAAAAABp4/OISIDnDJDvI/s400/IMG_6468.JPG

that looks delicious! i want to try cooking that now 🙂

• gillian August 22, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

Thanks, Tina! I’ll see if I can find that next time. It WAS delicious – I wish there were leftovers today, haha.

3. Caroline August 22, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

Mmm looks like you guys had a delicious dinner, I’m very impressed!! I’ve yet to cook Chinese food though..I need to get on that.

• gillian August 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

I feel like asian cooking has a stigma against it because there are so many ingredients and it is unique – but this was pretty fool-proof, even for a cooking newbie like me haha

4. Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport August 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

Asian cuisine in my kitchen consists of anything I pour peanut butter sauce over 🙂 It works. Vietnamese Pho is my favorite! I should try to make that at home.

• gillian August 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

Oooh! I just tried Pho for the first time recently – it’s so good. And I a PB nut so I need to learn how to make that sauce. Mmm.

1. weekend update. « That's G - August 29, 2011

[…] finally, Sunday brought two of my favorite things together: Jersey Shore and Sunday Dinner! Let’s just say when Jersday comes twice a week I’m not complaining. Jenn, Whitney, […]

2. summer’s over… « That's G - September 3, 2011

[…] Office, Jack and Jill’s, and Real Food Daily…and I have made attempts to try and cook mildly impressive things as well. But, as Kanye would say, #ITSAPROCESS. Urth […]