weekend eats.

23 Aug

This past weekend was punctuated by trips to two new-to-me LA eateries. The first was Jack n’ Jill’s too on 3rd and Robertson (walkable from my apartment – score!). Jack n’ Jill’s bills itself as a weekend brunch place, so I wasn’t sure what to expect – but I was beyond pleasantly surprised. Here’s why:

blackened shrimp wrap + sweet potato fries with grated parmesan.

This wrap alone was incredible, and the rate at which I consumed it probably weirded out my guy friends. Whatever. I would come back here just for this – but everything my friends ordered looked great too. These came with our bill:

i nabbed the red one. sorry guys.

The best surprise of the meal came at the tail end. Jack n’ Jill’s Too closes on the early side (9 pm) so we were there while they were getting ready to shut down for the night. After our server brought out the bill, he told us that they had some cookies baked that day that they’d either give away to us or throw out. Of course we took them up on the offer and sampled the assortment they prepared.

mmm.

A note to Spain: THIS is what customer service looks like. It was so nice of our server to go the extra mile for us for no reason other than that we were there at the right time!

On Sunday, my uncle and my parents came to my visit – my uncle is in town from the Bay Area for a few days and wanted to check out my new apartment and of course go to a blog-worthy restaurant. I have had my eye on checking out the vegan restaurant Real Food Daily ever since my blog-friend Kristen who I met in Madrid raved to me about it!

I’m not a vegan (an neither are my family members) but I’m an adventurous eater and trying to be more health-conscious. Apparently a couple of weeks ago in Vegas I proclaimed I am “leaning Vegan” which, although not entirely true, would not be impossible knowing how great of an experience we had at RFD.

Our server was incredibly upbeat – instead of asking “hash browns or fruit?” She asked each of us “Now would you enjoy hash browns or fresh fruit?” It was hard not to be in a good mood with her positivity everywhere.

Here’s what we ordered:

my mom's "big ol' waffle"

my dad's tofu scramble.

my "weekender": french toast, tofu scramble, fresh fruit, and a crunchy bacon-like thing.

my uncle's weekender: pancakes, hash brown, tofu scramble, and that bacon-like thing.

my dad + my uncle at RFD.

the interior at RFD.

My meal was great, and even though it seemed big, it wasn’t overly-filling in the way the same menu items would have been at a non-vegan place. I’ll definitely be back here – even though I’m still a meat-eater at the end of the day.

What’s your favorite vegan (or vegetarian) meal?

14 Responses to “weekend eats.”

1. Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport August 23, 2011 at 9:53 am #

Let’s start at the bottom – Holy hell! You took the whole fam!? What did everyone thing? Will you go back with me on my next LA tour? My mouth is watering! 🙂

Next: Love the note to Spain! Keep them coming. They just don’t get it!

And for the top! LOVE the sweet potato fries. I have bought one sweet potato in Madrid. When I return I should make my own fries 🙂

But back to the bottom… So glad you made it to RFD! I hope it lived up to my hype 🙂

• gillian August 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

Haha – Yes, I took the whole fam and everyone loved it! My Dad tried going vegan earlier this year but gave it up when he came face to face with a filet mignon, but luckily everyone is up for trying new things! Everyone said they’d go back. Thanks so much for the rec – it was definitely worth your hype – especially since I literally live a block and a half from it. I’ll definitely go with you on your next LA tour!

Spain will NEVER understand customer service. I love Spain so much – but times when I experience top-notch service in the US really make me happy.

Definitely post that recipe when you make your own sweet potato fries!

2. Caroline August 23, 2011 at 9:54 am #

OMG….that wrap…and those sweet potato fries. Need now! I think Whit and I could walk that distance too. It’d definitely be worth it just to eat this. 🙂

• gillian August 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

Yay! We should walk and meet up there sometime…or at any restaurant really. But those fries were bombbb. 🙂

3. leftcoastcontessa August 23, 2011 at 10:16 am #

I’ve never actually been to RFD for bunch! The portions are huge at lunch and dinner. Sometimes I actually order an appetizer at lunch because they are so big. I’ve seen Jack and Jill several times but never actually gone in but after seeing those sweet potato fries I think I need to check it out.

• gillian August 23, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

RFD was great for brunch but I DEFINITELY want to try it for a more normal meal – breakfast has never been my fav meal to eat out. Jack n Jill was great – and relatively cheap too!

4. tina August 23, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

jaja, i’m sure if spain (yes, spain is a person) read that note to them, they would just laugh and not understand it

yummy food! those wraps look AMAZING

• gillian August 23, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

haha there is no way “Spain” would understand that note – their English is not that advanced! 🙂

5. Erwan Heussaff August 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

weekends like this induce amazing food comatose moments

• gillian August 26, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

Haha, right? Those are the best! (at least in small doses)

6. actorsdiet August 27, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

i should give RFD another shot – i feel like i’ve eaten at better vegan places in the city, but maybe i just haven’t ordered the right things there. that waffle looks good!

• gillian August 28, 2011 at 8:37 am #

That’s good to know – I feel like RFD has the most hype. It’s a little pricey but I think, for the most part, it lived up to it.

1. summer’s over… « That's G - September 3, 2011

[…] checked out restaurants like Toast, Urth Caffe, El Carmen, Taste, Father’s Office, Jack and Jill’s, and Real Food Daily…and I have made attempts to try and cook mildly impressive things as well. But, as Kanye […]

2. two thousand eleven: the playlist. « That's G - December 31, 2011

[…] it so far. Beyond that, I also explored my new neighborhood a little bit with visits to Cuvee, Jack n Jills too and Real Food Daily, Father’s Office, Taste, Toast, and more. I also began marathon training […]