weekend update.

29 Aug

So I’m officially a law student now and it’s been great so far – I’m really enjoying the reading and classes (#nerdalert I know) but my days have noticeably filled up so my blog posts have been sporadic and frankly boring. I’m going to try and do some more flavorful posts, but in the meantime here’s a re-cap of some non-school-related antics I’ve been up to lately:

Friday dinner at Cuvée with my friends Jenn, Whitney, Caroline, and Dom:

This place was adorable – we sat outside on a terrace with twinkle lights and made friends with another table’s dog named Winston. (I even put aside my general ambivalence toward animals and showed him some love. Baby steps!) The food was delicious – especially the bread with EVOO and pesto combo that came out at the beginning. My hamburger was good and hit the spot after my first long week of class. I will say, however, that it doesn’t hold a candle to the burger I had last two weeks ago at Father’s Office.

not an IPA but this Pilsner will do.

my grilled kobe beef burger w/ sautéed mushrooms, carmelized onions, white cheddar cheese.

caroline's grilled chicken breast w/ gouda cheese, guac, and salsa.

Saturday night was my best friend Whitney’s little sister’s 21st birthday! We celebrated at Whitney and Caroline’s apartment with a delicious dinner cooked by the hostesses, Moscow Mules, and a fun night out after midnight when Emma officially hit 2-1 at Winston’s on Santa Monica. Successful 21st. Yesss.

amazing crostinis.

[You can read the recipe for the crostinis on Caroline’s blog, here]

moscow mule in an adorable mason jar.

documenting the night.

And finally, Sunday brought two of my favorite things together: Jersey Shore and Sunday Dinner! Let’s just say when Jersday comes twice a week I’m not complaining. Jenn, Whitney, Matty, and I concocted a funky salad and a chicken and thai curry dish – it was delicious. Jenn hooked it up with her fav dessert – funfetti cupcakes…and then we indulged on the Jersey Shore (Mike intentionally throwing his head into a cement wall? Not exactly “twinning” but EPIC TV that’s for sure) and then the VMAs.

hard at work.

whitney is hungry...

bomb din.

I’ve been an MTV fan since I was far too young to be watching the show. I made the outlandish claim last night that Jersey Shore has “changed American culture and the American lexicon,” I haven’t missed a season of the Real World since Hawaii, and TRL was my after-school mainstay growing up. I’ll always remember how epic the 9.9.99 VMAs were and Kanye’s crazy performance last year. Last night’s show was, in one word, lackluster. The best performance of the night wasn’t Kanye + Jay-Z (although it should have been) – it was Chris Brown, who has still hasn’t technically lived down his criminal behavior from a few years back. Lady Gaga was weird, Beyoncé is pregnant (that baby is going to have some serious swag, as Whitney proclaimed), and Katy Perry tried to do the Gaga thing and dress funkily. While I love MTV, I am crossing my fingers they get their groove back for 2012.

things that would have made the show better: letting him host.

What did everyone else think about the VMAs?

10 Responses to “weekend update.”

1. Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport August 30, 2011 at 6:10 am #

Your weekend looks like a blast to me! And someone has to be the documentarian… you know they like it!

The jet-lag had me passed out before the goods on the VMAs… but I caught the highlights. I miss the MTV days of Singled Out. It’ll never be the same.

• gillian August 30, 2011 at 9:29 am #

The highlights are all you need! And I remember Singled Out! Another fav of mine was Say What, Karaoke. So sad.

2. Caroline August 30, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Such a great (and delicious) weekend! Did Whit tell you we ate at Cuvee again last night? We got the shrimp taco salad–SO good. I think it’s gonna be one of my new favorite spots. 🙂

• gillian August 30, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Ooh I didn’t know you went yesterday! Yum! That salad sounds delicious!

Sent from my iPhone

3. Valerie Nelson August 30, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

Next parental challenge: Write about food without using the word “delicious.”

• gillian September 1, 2011 at 8:38 am #

Hmm. We’ll see if I can swing that.

4. Kathy Satterfield August 30, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

G, you have to find a reason to visit Claremont and go to the Back Abbey gastropub. http://www.thebackabbey.com
    My definition of this is nirvana in a frosty glass, a burger to die for and fries that are worth every calorie that they put on a person’s hips….and believe me, they put plenty of them on.

Why? DUCK FAT! These fries are fried twice – first in duck fat and then in soy. Sounds odd, yes, but they are perfectly crisp on the outside and the potato inside is as fluffy as a down pillow. Chef Tim announces them as perfecto.

It is not a cheap place. Two Back Abbey burgers, a couple of Troll beers and a full order of duck fat fries and four Belgium dipping sauces sets us back a good $40+ but it is worth it. Come to think of it, maybe we had wandered back onto the beer list again before that bill came. I can’t remember. All I remember is that it was heavenly.

I can imagine the saints workshiping at the Back Abbey over a dozen beers. It is a spiritual eating and drinking experience!
    Kathy

• gillian September 1, 2011 at 8:39 am #

That place sounds fantastic – and looks drool-worthy! If I am ever in Claremont I will make SURE to check out the Back Abbey! Gastropubs are my favorite!

5. Ross August 31, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

What is it about the burger that makes your mouth water! It might be all the melted cheese or the combination of all the great flavors coming together. Regardless it looks good!! I’m happy your week was good.

1. two thousand eleven: the playlist. « That's G - December 31, 2011

[…] have loved it so far. Beyond that, I also explored my new neighborhood a little bit with visits to Cuvee, Jack n Jills too and Real Food Daily, Father’s Office, Taste, Toast, and more. I also began […]