finding the rhythm.

9 Sep

This week has been all about getting into a rhythm. (Does anyone else think that word is impossibly hard to spell? No? Just me? That’s what I thought). I’m in my third week of school and starting to figure out a schedule that works for me that allows me to spend enough time on school but still builds in time for working out, seeing friends, and exploring LA.

Here’s a brief overview of how I did on all of these categories this week:

Monday – recovered from my epic Sunday (i.e. no workout) by having breakfast at King’s Road Cafe and dinner at the Farmer’s Market for “Sunday” dinner. Since there’s 3 different households in the loop, we’re going to do one week a month out. I had a glorious falafel from a stand in the Farmer’s Market. I just love how European and authentic the Farmer’s Market feels. Unfortunately I forgot about snapping a picture until after I inhaled my wrap.

breakfast burrito at King's Road Cafe.

P.S. I wrote about the LA Farmer’s Market 2 years ago when I first started my blog!

Tuesday: 4.5 mile run (2 miles of which with my buddy, Ryan), class, reading. Nothing too exciting.

Wednesday: 5.2 mile “tempo” run. I bailed on speed-work last week, but as my half-marathon gets closer I want to hold myself accountable. I got in a good run – I felt great and ran fast. Winning! On my way to school, I treated myself by stopping at Starbucks. Such a good pick-me-up pre library!

I jammed in the library for a bit, then went to a mildly informative lunch meeting for a club on campus (light on info, heavy on (free) Domino’s…YES).

Thursday: Morning run-elliptical and weights at the gym – run again, followed by a green monster courtesy of my blender. More library-lunch meeting-class routine (see that rhythm I’m talking about?) After school, I went to my new friend/fellow 1L Amber‘s apartment where she cooked me dinner (delicious tofu and sweet potato/yams in a super savory dressing)

on the way to Amber's.

and then we met up with some other people from our section at a bar downtown called Casey’s Bar and Grille. I sipped a Racer 5 IPA (Healdsburg, CA). Loved it. Direct quote from a kid in my section: “You’re one of those people who takes photos of food? I thought only Asians did that.”

The rest of Thursday included watching The Shore (obviously) and prepping for class on Friday!

Tonight I’m going home to celebrate my Dad’s birthday and am looking forward to the weekend!

How do you adjust to a new routine?

8 Responses to “finding the rhythm.”

1. Caroline September 9, 2011 at 11:27 am #

I keep meaning to try King’s Road Cafe, since it’s so close to my apartment. How was it? It’s always packed when I drive by. Not surprised your Thursday night consisted of watching Jersey Shore. 😉 Have fun celebrating your dad’s birthday!

• gillian September 9, 2011 at 11:47 am #

Thanks Caroline!! I liked KRC a lot – better food and ambiance in my opinion than Taste :). Have a great weekend!

Sent from my iPhone

2. leftcoastcontessa September 9, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Love Kings Road! Major kudos for keeping up with running etc while in school. I know what you mean about library, class, lunch meeting with free food. Looks like you’re doing a great job adjusting to law school.

• gillian September 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

Thank you so much! I am trying to stay on top of the running now so it’s habit by the time things get really crazy. I definitely want to go back to King Road, too, and try something a little more adventurous!

3. tina September 10, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

jajajaja regarding the quote about you taking photos of food

• gillian September 10, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

Lol. The guy is Chinese, but it’s funny regardless.

4. Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport September 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Rythem, rhythem, rhythm (there we go!) is incredibly hard to spell! With you on that one.

When I settle into a new routine (so much easier to spell) I start with the workout. As long as I have a workout in there somewhere all else seems right with the world. Sweat is my drug of choice.

Looks like you’re doing a great job!

• gillian September 12, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

I’m glad you think that pesky word is tough, too! And I am totally with you on the workout thing – it helps to have SOMETHING be stable when everything else is changing.

I did the Madrid 1/2 last April, and as soon as I started training for it last January, I appreciated the consistency it brought 🙂