runyon canyon.

10 Oct

Saturday morning featured my usual weekly long run (just under 10 with the LA Leggers in Santa Monica, through Venice and into Marina del Rey, and back) but Sunday was a whole different athletic adventure – hiking Runyon Canyon with my roommate, Jenn!

I’d never been before (but luckily she had) and I’ve been wanting to go for ages. It’s a quintessential LA spot – and is often used as the standard on any reality show where celebrities are shown “working out.” See:

source: modernhiker.com

source: gotceleb.com

LC and Lo...two of my favs...(source: behollywoodfit.com)

The scenery was epic and the weather was great – and the best part was seeing the cross-section of humanity (err…I mean…Los Angeles) that was hiking Runyon as well. We saw everything from jacked shirtless men, wannabe Pussycat doll women, dudes running in jeans, tourists in long sleeves and pants, and hard-core runners going uphill in Vibrams.

Here are some shots from our hike:

Where is your favorite place to hike?

I liked Runyon – but my all time favorites are the Berkeley Fire Trail and my hometown’s China Flat Trail.

12 Responses to “runyon canyon.”

1. Caroline October 10, 2011 at 11:30 am #

I’ve never hiked here either, I think Whit and I need to come next time! That view is gorgeous.

• gillian October 10, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

We should definitely go together! you’d love it

2. Steve October 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

Note the “Uncle Mike” house at the far right of the picture with the Hollywood sign in it.

• gillian October 10, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

I thought that’s what it was!

3. Casey October 10, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Grew up in LA and never heard of Runyan Canyon, so thanks for featuring it. Turns out, per Wikipedia, that LA acquired it in 1984. It has an interesting star-studded history.

• gillian October 10, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

Interesting! I am surprised you hadn’t heard of it! But I guess you aren’t exactly in “The Hills” Or “Keeping up with the Kardashians” target demographics.

4. joggingjeans October 13, 2011 at 6:33 am #

Did you get a picture of the dudes running in jeans by chance??

• gillian October 13, 2011 at 7:08 am #

Unfortunately not – next time I’ll be more on the look out!

• joggingjeans October 13, 2011 at 9:05 am #

I’d appreciate it! Your blog is great, BTW!

5. Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport October 15, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

I vote for Runyon. I heart love a good hike and then yoga in the park. Still Tuesday at 10? Probably not. That was 2 years ago. I did love hiking around Greenville, SC when I lived there. Hiking around the streets of Madrid es no bueno.

• gillian October 16, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

Haha totally agree about Madrid! I loved running in Oeste but it’s not good for hiking. There is now free yoga in Runyon 3x a day, every day, but I have yet to go! I need to get on that. I’ve never been to Greenville – another place I’ll have to add to the life list!

1. two thousand eleven: the playlist. « That's G - December 31, 2011

[…] my first midterm (Property), celebrated my mom’s birthday with a BOMB dinner at Red O, hiked Runyon Canyon, checked out the WeHo library, and ran the SF Nike Women’s Half (poor race strategy and […]