chew on this.

9 Nov

So included in my big bag of goodies Swanson Health Products last month were a couple of energy chews.

let's see what we can make today. yeah?

fruit smoothie flavor.

Even though I’m a runner, I’ve never tried a chew, gel, or any of that other “running” energy stuff – mostly because with distances of 13.1 or shorter, I have never felt the need to re-fuel mid-run.

Now that I’m training for a marathon, I know that I will need fuel during my longer runs so I’m starting the experimentation process now.

The Honey Stinger Fruit Smoothie chews were great – however I didn’t use them during my last run because I was late getting out the door and couldn’t find my SPI-Belt for easy-storage, so I grabbed a handful and ate them pre-run.

They had an interesting texture – more chewy and gummy than a childhood fruit snack or gummy bear, but also juicier and more flavorful. The fruit smoothie flavor was good – and didn’t have any weird medicinal taste to it or anything.

I’d try them again for sure (and lucky for me I have another flavor to try – the Pomegranate variety…thanks, Swanson!) My only complaint is that the packaging isn’t totally conducive to carrying with me when I’m on a run in the way that some others might be.

more convenient packaging...but will the flavor match up?

(source)

Anyway, I’d LOVE to hear your thoughts on your favorite mid-run fuels – are there any chews or gels I should try? I’m nervous about trying a gel – sorta messy…and there are so many flavors that could be gross!

P.S. Are you interested in getting some free Swanson Health Products goodies to review on your own blog? Then check out the Swanson Health Blog for all the details.

8 Responses to “chew on this.”

1. Angela November 9, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

shot blocks and energy jelly beans! the beans are nice because you don’t choke as much trying to chew them, you can kind of just chew twice and then let them dissolve on your teeth (i’m sure that statement would make dentists cringe!)

• gillian November 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

oh good call!! i forgot about jelly beans, i’ll have to try them! and yeah, haha, you’re probably right. at my running group there’s aid stations for us – but i am always hesitant to lunge for the oreos and other junk food they have out haha

2. leftcoastcontessa November 9, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

I’ve never tried honey stingers but I really should. Especially if they have a good flavor… sometimes gels just have a nauseating flavor. I really like shot blocks but found that if my mouth is too dry they stick in my teeth.

• gillian November 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

oh that’s good to know – i feel like there are some gels that would be okay, i think my dad liked the coffee flavor – but some of them weird me out.

3. Hannes November 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

GU chomps are great. I don’t like gels – i didn’t find one that was tasty and it was a real mess during the run.
    See: https://guenergy.com/products/products-chomps

• gillian November 11, 2011 at 3:10 pm #

Thanks Hannes!! I’ll give GU Chomps a try. Glad I’m not the only one who thinks gels are a little creepy.

4. Lisa G November 12, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

Gu Chomps and Cliff Shot blocks are what I like to use!

• gillian November 12, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

Thanks! I’ll have to try those!