seven minute workout.

5 Nov

My evening class was re-scheduled tonight, meaning I had 3 un-scheduled hours at my disposal. I did a little of work on campus (I’m a Research Assistant for my favorite professor) but then I headed home to squeeze in a quick workout.

I was STARVING when I got home so I noshed on a new Clif Bar flavor — Pecan Pie. Loooove.

I hopped on the treadmill for 3 easy miles (around 8:30 pace).  I wanted to get a little bit of resistance training in, and my BFF Whitney suggested I try the 7 Minute Workout app.

I had first heard about this workout in May when the New York Times wrote an article about it, and then Run Eat Repeat followed suit shortly after.  After hearing Tony Horton and Harley Pasternak speak at #FitBlogLA, I have been antsy to incorporate more resistance and high intensity interval training into my regimen.

This workout was simple — it consisted of 12 movements you do for 30 seconds each, with 10 seconds rest in between.  I did it twice, for a grand total of 14 minutes.

The workout consists of the following movements:

(1) Jumping Jacks

(2) Wall Sit

(3) Push-Ups

(4) Crunches

(5) Step-Ups (on a chair)

(6) Squats

(7) Tricep Dips (on a chair)

(8) Plank

(9) High-knees (running in place) –> these were KILLER

(10) Lunges

(11) Push-ups and rotation

(12) Side Plank

source: NYT

source: NYT

This workout was no joke — but it was fun and relatively simple.  I liked the fact that you don’t really need anything to do it, just a chair and a wall. I was feeling the burn by the end — the high knee running in place was ROUGH.

I also totally recommend the (free) iTunes app.  It times everything for you and also has YouTube videos built into the app if you need a refresher on how to do the movement.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 9.52.00 PM

I liked the workout — it felt good to do a little bit of HIIT in addition to my run.

plank selfie. don't mind me.

plank selfie. don’t mind me.

Have you guys tried the 7 Minute Workout? Thoughts?

Favorite fitness app?

15 Responses to “seven minute workout.”

1. GiGi Eats Celebrities November 5, 2013 at 9:27 am #

It’s amazing what you can do at home with furniture! 🙂 And thank god for our cellphones to keep us occupied when we’re doing planks for days! lol

• gillian November 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

hahaha totally. Not sure what I would do without my phone…

2. Brittany November 6, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Ohh I’ve never tried these workouts, but they look LEGIT! I starting planking a day again after taking like a month off haha. It’s a sad sight…

• gillian November 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

I love planks — but they can be a little bit boring (hence, the selfie). Haha!

3. mburton0214 November 8, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Your “easy” miles would constitute speedy for me! I think I may need to try this workout. Looks like a good one!

• gillian November 8, 2013 at 1:01 pm #

Haha thanks! It is a good and fun workout — perfect for days when you feel like doing something but can’t make it to a class or aren’t in the mood for cardio.

4. readaholic31 November 10, 2013 at 9:21 am #

I think this workout might kill me but it would mean I could do it at home and get some exercise on days when I don’t want to head out in bad weather!

• gillian November 10, 2013 at 11:56 am #

It’s so short that the pain is concentrated — and some of the movements are easier than others! Let me know what you think once you try it!

5. Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. November 10, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

You did the 7-minute workout AFTER running 3 miles?!?! You’re an animal!!! I loved workouts like this though. Fun and fast, that’s what I’m talking about!

• gillian November 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Hahahaha thanks Whitney!! I don’t know about that — but I was DEFINITELY a sweaty mess after!

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM, That's G

6. irunfordonuts November 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

I think I need to try this workout tonight! Thanks for posting, girl!

• gillian November 11, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

Let me know how you like it!! 🙂

7. Patty (reach-yourpeak.com) November 14, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

ooo I will have to try this! Especially after runs when I really don’t feel like lifting. This is a great way to get a total body workout. I’m all about short and sweet 😉

• gillian November 14, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

It is the perfect post-run workout if you want to extend your workout/get a little bit of resistance training in there!

1. brand spankin’ new workouts. | That's G - November 27, 2013

[…] am a big fan of the Seven Minute workout (and I love the 7 Minute Workout app for the […]