brand spankin’ new workouts.

27 Nov

For those of you following along with #Elf4Health, today’s challenge is to do a new workout. Wednesdays are sort of  workout-filled to begin with me for me — I was at Back on My Feet this morning and will be teaching spin tonight, but I still plan to try this workout Cori @ Olive to Run posted earlier this week. Already dreading those burpees…rounds-of-workout-moves

I thought I’d share some of my favorite workouts you can do at home without much equipment.  I tried this one from Tina @ Carrots n Cake awhile ago and liked how it incorporated some cross-fit type elements with running.  Those burpees killed me at the end!

99-WOD-run_thumb

I am a big fan of the Seven Minute workout (and I love the 7 Minute Workout app for the iPhone).

12well_physed-superJumboFinally, Karena and Katrina over at Tone It Up are constantly posting creative, fun, and challenging workouts. This one is great if you’re looking to specifically target your back.

sexy+upper+back+printable+JPG

While my “something new” for today is a little on the DIY-side, there’s a bunch of cool, boutique style workouts in the LA I can’t wait to try as well.

Numero uno on that list? YogAqua. Yoga. On a stand-up paddleboard.   I need to try this, ASAP. Any takers?

thumb

I like yoga, but I struggle with the whole zen, woo-woo aspect of some studios.  Enter: YogaHop.  Yoga, set to hip-hop music? I can get behind this.

01-11-yoga-hop-1

I’m spin-obsessed and have checked off most of the LA boutique studios, but I have never made it to Cycle House — and I used to live about a block from it!

Screen-Shot-2012-01-10-at-11.44.59-AM

Elves — what new workout are you trying today?

Has anyone ever tried YogAqua, Yoga Hop, or Cycle House? Thoughts?

Favorite “off the beaten path” exercise?

13 Responses to “brand spankin’ new workouts.”

1. Ashley November 27, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Oh man I forgot that today was new workout day! Those all look awesome but I think Ill die if I try them all, I think I’ll do the seven minute because Ive heard so much about it.

• gillian November 27, 2013 at 10:14 am #

Yay! Lemme know how you like it!

Sent from my iPhone

2. Carly Taylor November 27, 2013 at 10:26 am #

Hi Gillian! Just started reading your blog, I love it!!

LOVE Yogahop in Santa Monica! Teachers are so nice, music is awesome, and you will definitely leave drenched in sweat. I’m not a fan of the traditional zen yoga either so I think you will really like Yogahop. Haven’t tried Cycle House yet, but definitely going to think about taking a class there now that Soulcycle raised their already insane prices!

• gillian November 27, 2013 at 10:40 am #

Omg Carly, Hi!! Thanks for reading my little blog!

Glad to hear you like Yoga Hop — I feel like we probably have similar likes and dislikes when it comes to working out. I want to try Cycle House — but I am pretty Soul-Cycle loyal (although I haven’t been there in way too long!) Hope you’re doing well!! xx

• Angela November 29, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

Ahh I’d be totally down to try Yoga Hop in Santa Monica! Pick a day and let’s do it 🙂

And, hi Carly!!!!

• gillian November 29, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

Yes!! I’d love to! I’ll touch base later this week re: my schedule! I am pretty flexible b/c of finals!

• Angela November 29, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

Perfect, I don’t start my new job until the 12th and sub jobs are scarce the next 2 weeks, so I have a pretty clear schedule as well 🙂

3. Brittany November 30, 2013 at 8:10 am #

I think I broke a sweat just reading these workouts hahaha.

4. Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. November 30, 2013 at 10:25 am #

I have been dying to try YogAqua and YogaHop too!! Let me know when you go and I’ll totally come with! I have tried CycleHouse and I wasn’t a huge fan. There music was so loud that my ears were ringing for 24 hours. I’m not even exaggerating.

• gillian November 30, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Awesome!! I really want to do both — maybe we can try and find a time to go together! I have been wanting to try YogAqua foreverrrrr.

5. Running Hutch December 2, 2013 at 7:48 pm #

I want you to do Yoga Hop and then tell me all about it!

1. #elf4health week 1 recap | That's G - December 2, 2013

[…] On Wednesday, we had to try a new workout. I ran with Homeboy in the morning and taught spin at night, but I also checked out a new workout (55 burpees, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, and push-ups are no joke). I also wrote about some new-to-me workout studios in LA I want to try here: Brand Spankin’ New Workouts. […]