That mid-week slump is REAL – especially this week, with a three-day weekend glistening over the horizon. To get you through the last half of the work week, I wanted to share with you a few things I’m loving from around the web and IRL . . .
Currently bumping…this Faded X Panda mash-up. My neighbors probably already hate me for waking up to rap music at absurd hours, but this on loop probably is adding fuel to the fire.
Oh, and this too. #SaveDatMoney
Obsessing over…all things related to the OJ Simpson trial. I loved the FX mini-series, “The People v. OJ Simpson” that was on earlier this year, but I am absolutely enthralled by the 30 for 30 documentary called OJ: Made in America. It goes into such depth and detail about his celebrity – I knew he was charismatic but I had no idea of the sheer magnitude of his fame. This documentary also explains the racial dynamics at play in Los Angeles in the early 90s, as well as OJ’s repeated domestic abuse of Nicole. Highly recommend for anyone interested in the case, and especially those in Los Angeles. I’m also reading Jeffrey Toobin’s book “The Run Of His Life,” which is the book the FX mini-series was based on. It also gives more detail about all aspects of the trial.
Guilty pleasure du jour…(tangent: remember that MTV movie “2GE+HER”? Well, it was amazing on many levels. Carson Daly at his prime. But anyway, 2GE+HER’s rival boy band was named Du Jour. So good). ANYWAY. I am, admittedly, a Bachelor fan. Not because I believe the franchise is a vessel for the lead to find “true love,” but because I LOVE the behind-the-scenes blogs and podcasts that unpack how the show is produced, and it’s just a fun guilty pleasure. Of course I watch the show, but I really watch it so I understand what’s going on in the blogs that recap them. (My favorites:
- http://lostangelesblog.com/ – Zack’s recaps are sporadic these days, but he’s hilarious. Every other comedic recap is an attempt to do what he does. Also, he went to high school down the street from mine, so I have to rep someone from the Conejo doing big things…
- Lizzy Pace’s recaps on Funny or Die: Funny, perceptive, and oh yeah, she was in my sorority in college.
- Sharleen Joynt’s recaps on All the Pretty Pandas and Flare – Sharleen was a former contestant (remember the opera singer from Juan Pablo’s season?) She has excellent insider knowledge and makes astute obersvations.
- I’m also obsessed with the Bachelorette Party podcast from my girl (I don’t really know her, but if I did we would be bffs) Juliet Litman on the Channel 33 podcast network.
- The “Here To Make Friends” podcast is good too – with great guests and a look at Bachelor Nation through a feminist lense:
Little things I’m loving…
Group chats – I am pretty sure I could not get through the week without group texts. My family keeps in touch through our “Squad” group chat – and it is nice to be able to talk to everyone throughout the week, even about things that may seem unimportant or trivial. My girlfriends Heather and Kristina and I have a chat we titled “#LAwHers” and that has been a constant source of both comic relief and support. I love a good group chat, but I love it more with a name and with an emoji.
Reconnecting with old friends – In the last couple of weeks, some of my friends from out of town have visited LA, and I’ve gotten to grab dinner with them, funnily enough each on consecutive Monday nights. Last weekend, I joined my high school friend, Heather, at an event with Shape Magazine. We took a class with FlyWheel at a pop-up loft downtown and had a blast.
Currently coveting…These rad skateboard decks. I don’t skateboard, but I’d totally have this hanging on my wall somewhere.
What is getting you through the week? Share your current favorite listen, watch, read, or guilty pleasure in the comments!