Wednesday was a day jam-packed full of fitness for me. I subbed a 6 am spin class and then headed out to the gorgeous Annenberg Community Beach House in Santa Monica for an event put on by Jamba Juice called FitTrends.
It was a great day sampling Jamba concoctions and learning about their recipes, trying the new “it” workouts, and mingling with my favorite LA HLBs (healthy living bloggers, duh).
When I arrived, I grabbed a Kale-ribbean Breeze smoothie from their “Whole Food” line of smoothies. My fav Jamba Juice growing up was Caribbean Passion, and I’m trying to avoid sugar, so this was a good go-to.
We kicked off the morning with a warm up with Venus Williams and celebrity trainer Samantha Monus. It wasn’t anything too strenuous — and I immediately envied Venus’ top. Athletic apparel envy is REAL. (I later learned it’s from her own line – EleVen by Venus).
Throughout the day we sampled four different workouts that have popped up. Everyone loved the Pound workout. We used drumsticks and moved to the beat, hitting the sticks above us, on the ground, and to the side in unison. It was a good mix of cardio, strength, and some ab work, and a lot of fun. I’d definitely love to take a full class sometime, especially after a particularly stressful day.
Monica had a great Instagram video of the class here.
After sweating it up with the Pound girls, we headed upstairs for a little blind tasting of different Jamba Juices to see if we could guess the ingredients.
- Tropical Greens –> my favorite
- Veggie Harvest –> they call this one “the kitchen sink” because there’s so many different veggies packed in it.
- Citrus Kick –> VERY ginger-y
- Great Greens –> the most “green” tasting smoothie.
I went 4/4 on the guessing, but it was pretty easy. I also thought it was cool that even the apple juice included in these juices is fresh.
After we sipped, we spoke with Carol Chen of Jamba Juice who told us all about how Jamba creates it blends as well as the ingredients it uses. Check out the gorgeous farmer’s market display behind her (which we all got to raid at the end of the day!)
- how Jamba Juice works with their Research & Development team to see what the trends in the industry are.
- Kale is no longer a trend — it is a mainstay and that can be seen from the fact that major grocery stores carry kale chips, dips made with kale, etc.
- A trend for 2014 is “global spices” — ancho chile was one she mentioned.
- Consumers are getting sophisticated and want to be put on a culinary journey — that’s how Citrus Kick (orange juice, apple juice, pineapples, ice, and ginger) came about
After we were all Jamba-fied, we tried workout #2 – Pop Physique. I’ve tried various bar-type workouts before and am not really a fan, I prefer lifting normally (BODY PUMP!!!) instead of the small, “tucking” movements of bar-type classes. The pop session was challenging though and the instructors were both upbeat!
Melissa, Tiffany, and Kara tucking away.
Next up was lunch! I chatted with Katy, Melissa, and Lindsay over some salad and sparkling water before moving inside for a chat with Venus and Jake “Body by Jake” Steinfeld. But first, Gigi and I took a selfie…
The conversation was light-hearted, but full of interesting facts and tips about Jake and Venus’ approach to healthy living.
How they got their start in healthy living
- Jake said he was a chubby kid with a stutter who used to eat everything, but his life changed when his Dad got him a set of weights at 13. He started eating more moderately and became hooked on physical fitness.
- Venus started training to become a pro tennis player at the age of FOUR. (FOUR!) Her mom didn’t keep junk food in the house at all so she learned to love healthy foods at an early age
Jake and Venus’ 3 Tips for Healthy Living
- Don’t expect to be perfect.
- Be consistent – healthy living is about longevity.
- Just get started.
Why Jamba Juice?
- Other than their orange juice and wheatgrass shots, and the fact that she is a franchisee, Venus says Jamba is aligned with her beliefs ever since her mom “hid the cookies.”
- For Jake, he believes Jamba is aligned with what families need. This is important to him because he is working to help put fitness centers in elementary schools.
How do Venus and Jake stay motivated?
- Venus said she often has a “battle with the bed” — but hearing Serena get out of bed to go to practice helps her get out of bed too!
- Jake does a 42-minute workout, 6 days a week. He uses that time to plan out his day, so by the time it is over he has worked out his body and mind.
Least favorite workout? food?
- Venus HATES planks (funny, because I love ’em) and she is NOT aboard the broccoli train.
- Jake hates squats and liver.
After our chat, we explored workout #3 – Hoopnotica.
Hoopnotica is a hula-hoop based workout. You can burn up to 350 calories in an hour hooping. I was able to keep the hoop up pretty well, but wasn’t trying to do any circus-like tricks. This class was fun, but it felt way more like play and not at all like exercise (totally fine for most people, but I like a little bit greater bang for my buck). Also, I somehow got a bruise on my side from 15 minutes of hula hooping. Cool, Gillian.
Tiffany caught this photo of Kara — and I’m in the background hooping away:Definitely a good option for the coordinated people out there!
The last class of the day was the one I was the most excited about — Surfset Fitness! Surfset uses surfboards strapped to exercise balls — so balancing is a challenge as the surfboard moves with you. It reminded me a little bit of plyometric devices we used to use in cross country.
This workout was tough — we did all types of core work, burpees, and some yoga moves. I’d love to try this again! And you know, actually learn to surf. Fun fact: these guys were on the show Shark Tank! We wrapped up the day with some sweet swag bags (I’m stoked on my new Jamba yoga mat – I needed a new one badly) and took photos with Venus.
It was an awesome day and I am grateful I got the chance to participate — and I am sure there are other awesome things that happeend I forgot to mention. Thanks so much, Jamba Juice!
P.S. My legs HATED me later that night when I taught two more spin classes back-to-back. Thursday was obviously a rest day.
Answer one (or both!) of the following:
- Favorite smoothie? (Jamba or homemade)…
- Favorite “trendy” workout? (I think we all know mine is Soul Cycle)…